History of American Christianity
Early Christian Settlements (1600s-1700s)
- The Puritan Colonies: Exploring the religious motivations in Massachusetts Bay Colony and Puritanism's societal impact.
- The Great Awakening: Understanding the revivalist movement's role in American religious identity.
- Jonathan Edwards: Analyzing the theology of this key Great Awakening figure.
Denominational Diversity and Expansion (1800s)
- The Second Great Awakening: Investigating the period's religious fervor and reform movements.
- The Rise of Evangelicalism: Examining evangelical denominations' growth.
- Dispensationalism: Exploring the emergence and influence of Dispensationalist theology in American Christianity.
- Charles Finney: Studying the theology and methods of this influential revivalist.
Theological Debates and Social Movements (late 1800s-early 1900s)
- The Civil War and Reconstruction: Religion's role in abolitionism and its post-war impact.
- Social Gospel Movement: Christian efforts in addressing social injustices.
- Fundamentalism vs. Modernism: Debates arising from scientific and cultural changes.
Christianity in the 20th Century
- Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement: The origins and growth of these dynamic movements.
- Civil Rights Movement and Liberation Theology: Christianity's role in racial equality and the emergence of liberation theology.
- Evangelicalism: Examining its rise and impact in modern American Christianity.
- Ecumenism and Interfaith Dialogue: Efforts towards Christian unity and engagement with other faiths.
Christianity and Politics
- Christianity and Movement Conservatism: Exploring the historical links between American Christianity and conservative political movements.
- The Moral Majority and the Religious Right: Examining the rise of conservative Christian political organizations in the late 20th century.
- Christianity in Presidential Politics: Analyzing the influence of Christian beliefs and leaders on presidential elections and policies.
- Church-State Relations: Investigating the debates and legal battles over the separation of church and state in American politics.
- Christianity and Social Policy: Understanding the role of Christian ethics in shaping policies on issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and education.
- The Impact of Televangelism: Studying the role of televangelists in mobilizing conservative Christian political activism.
Contemporary Issues and Trends
- Megachurches and Prosperity Gospel: The rise and impact of megachurches.
- LGBTQ+ Inclusion and Debates on Sexual Ethics: Evolving Christian perspectives on sexuality.
- Social Media and Digital Christianity: The effect of technology on religious practices.